|11th International Don Quichotte Cartoon Contest 2018|
Theme: “Child Brides“
Young girls who have not reached puberty are being forced to marry as child brides in some developing regions of the world. Child marriages are most common in India, Bangladesh, Afghanistan, Ethiopia, Tanzania. Unfortunately, this issue is becoming more common in Turkey as well. Globally, every 1 out of 5 females who is under 18 years old is being forced into marriage in exchange for a dowry.
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights prohibits child marriages and states that men and women of full age are entitled to equal marriage rights during marriage and at its dissolution. Marriage shall be entered into only with the free and full consent of the intending parties. This statement does not specify the minimum age requirement unlike other conventions and it is subjective.
Globally, every 1 out of 5 females who is under 18 years old is being forced into marriage in exchange for a dowry.
Legislations and precautions that are already in place are not sufficient and non-government organizations have been heavily campaigning to increase awareness on this topic. The purpose of this competition is to bring awareness to child marriages around the world, to study and criticize this social phenomenon.
We have an important mandate but limited time. We are calling all caricaturists/cartoonists around the world to contribute their work to raise awareness and come one step closer to solving this issue.
The Rules of Competition:
- With participation in competition is possible only by Internet. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- All submitted work should be participating a contest for the first time. With an offence, there's a risk of deprivation of the achieved prizes.
- The designs are to be drawn in A3-Size to deliver in 300 dpi dissolution and in Jpeg format. They know both and black-and-white, and to be colored, the coloured representation is exactly the same as the colortechnical treatment of the work is incumbent on not a containment.
- The closing date of the competition is 28 February 2018.
- Pre-selective Jury will determine the 100 finalists between dates 1-2 March 2018. Finalists will be presented in social media and on DQ website for the following 2 days.
- The jury exists, evaluates the works between 3 March 2018. Results of this evaluation and conception of the price-crowned works are published on 4 March 2018.
- The award of the prize will take place in the context of the opening of the exhibition in 8 March 2018 in the municipal art gallery Maji/Istanbul.
- Received caricatures will be securely saved in Don Quichotte's archive. We certainly will get permission from you if we need to use your caricatures for purposes other than displaying it in exhibitions and album.
- Contest Album will be developed in pdf and, if sponsored, will be printed.
- Awarded and best performing cartoons will be exhibited in various European countries.
- First Prize: 1.000 Euro +Don Quichotte Medal
- Second Prize: 750 Euro +Don Quichotte Medal
- Third Prize: 500 Euro +Don Quichotte Medal
- Special Awards
- 10 Mentions
- Adriana Mosquera (Spain)
- Farzane Vaziri Tabar (Iran)
- Elena Ospina (Colombia)
- Marilena Nardi (Italy)
- Martha Barragan (Mexico)
- Natalia Forcat (Brazil)
- Nicoleta Ionescu (Romania)
- Saadet Demir Yalçýn (Turkey)
- Shiva Zamanfar (Iran)
Don Quichotte/Erdoðan Karayel
Source: Don Quichotte